As an academic department within the School of Education and Professional Studies, the Department of Physical Education and Human Performance is dedicated to the achievement of the missions of the School and the University. The mission of the Department of Physical Education and Human Performance is multifaceted and is guided by the following principles:
- Providing coursework and experiences which enable students to become qualified, dedicated physical educators for the elementary and secondary schools in Connecticut.
- Providing coursework and experiences which enable students to become qualified, dedicated, exercise and fitness professionals for the corporate sector.
- Providing coursework and experiences which enable students to become qualified, dedicated athletic trainers which service the public schools as well as private and professional organizations in the community.
- Providing coursework and experiences in the general education program which enable students to develop and maintain optimal levels of physical health, wellness and lifetime activity skills.
- Values education in the physical, social, and psychological realms. A physically educated person has learned skills necessary to perform a variety of physical activities, is physically fit, does participate regularly in physical activity, knows the implications of and benefits from involvement in physical activity, and values physical activity and its contributions to a total healthy lifestyle.
Guided by these principles and values, the department aspires to the excellence of program.